Count the Bad Mommies

Sunday, March 2, 2008

The Early Bird Gets the Bacon

This is some interesting homework, Exmi (oh, yes, I've totally given you a nickname) - I can't wait to see what everyone else says...

Before I was a mom, I craved it and never thought it was going to happen. As soon as I gave up, it did.

Before I was a mom, I withdrew from life's disappointments by getting high in some way (drugs, booze, sex, shopping, pure manically-induced moments). Now, I get high from cleaning fumes and midnight manic blogging.

Before I was a mom, I thought if I became a mom, I'd fit into this cookie cutter image of a person who was always thoughtful and gentle and peaceful with their child, so as to raise one of similar behaviour. Now I know that I don't necessarily want one like that - my kid's got so much attitude, it makes her even more entralling.

Before I was a mom, it was really easy to judge parents whose kids were whining or screaming or sitting there talking and the parent was just doing nothing. Now, I understand why, sometimes.

Before I was a mom, I was never going to let my kid watch tv, speak only one language, see me with a drink or smoke in hand, eat McDonalds, wear pink and a whole other laundry list of do nots. All of those self-inflicted rules were broken by the time she was 11 months old.

Before I was a mom, I didn't think I'd consider cleaning while a TV babysit my kid, or grocery shopping as me time. Now, I look forward to it.

Before I was a mom, I didn't think I'd ever read the same 45 word book multiple times in a row or play ring around the rosie until I got dizzy. But I do, almost everyday.

Before I was a mom, I'd never loved someone unconditionally - despite when they bite, kick, punch and slap me, keep me awake for days in a row, vomit on me, scream at me and do horribly defacement to my body. But with her, it's tru luv 4eva.

5 comments:

Expensive Mistakes and Cheap Thrills said...

interesting new nickname.

loved your take on the homework...

you got my idea exactly!!

Bridget said...

I like the new nickname, I'\m going to use it. Couldn't quite get into the the full one. Thanks Zoey.

I liked your answers.

I'll do mine sometime! Reading the 45 word book is the best!

sweets said...

sweet!!!

angel said...

this was so cool!

Angela: mom2girlsgirlsgirls: said...

Thanks for the comment on my blog. "Grocery shopping as me time." That's where I am...and all the broken self-inflicted rules. Great post!