Count the Bad Mommies

Thursday, March 13, 2008

You Have Future Mail

Dear The Kid,
Today, the day you are opening this letter, will be your 18th birthday. The day I am writing this, it is your 4 month birthday.
I wonder what you will look like - more like me or your father? Blonde with blue eyes or will you have my deep brown eyes? Will you be nerdy and smart like me, or a jock like your father? What will your plans be, for the next phase of your life?
As I sit here now, and watch you sleep, you're a whole 64 cm tall. How tall will you be now? You were probably taller than me by the time you were 7 years old. You weigh 7.4kg today - what will it be in the future?
Will you be a rugby player? A swimmer, like your dad wants you to be? Or a ballerina? (Hey, it's totally your choice). Whatever you choose to do, my boy, I will always support you and love you. There's nothing you could do that could ever make me disown you.
I just want you to know you're the most amazing thing that's ever happened to me. My most perfect creation. The only thing that I've ever done right. And although you weren't exactly planned, I wouldn't change a thing. Except perhaps love you more. If possible.
I look at you every day and marvel at the fact that I actually made you. That I grew you inside me for 40 weeks. That I could feel you moving and growing inside me. I could feel your hiccups, your bumps and jumps. It was amazing.
The first time I saw you I felt things I'd never thought I was capable of. I felt the strongest kind of love imaginable. Only stronger. Looking into your big blue eyes was incredible. Watching you grow and learn new things has been amazing. Hearing your little laughs and your snorts has made it all worthwhile.
My boy, I wish only the best for you. At this point in your life there are only possibilities before you. Your potential is infinite, and where-to-from-here is completely your choice. I hope that we have raised you and given you enough experience, wisdom and independence to make the decision that is right for you.
I dont care if I discourage you from doing something, if you really want to do it. Well then do it. I am your mother and will love you regardless. Dont do something because it makes us happy,do something because it makes you happy. The happier you are, the happier we will be.
And never forget....I'm proud of you.
I love you more than anything else in this world...
Or the next.
Love always,
Mom
xxx

4 comments:

acidicice said...

*sniff* That was BEAUTIFUL! The idea is also awesome. Well done!

Patchwork said...

Ver, very, nice.

I was waiting for someone to post so that I could get an idea for what to do.

Sweets said...

i did the same as bridget!! mwhahahaha... that was truly beautiful...!!

AngelConradie said...

wow, sniffle
"...your potential is infinite..."
marvellous!