Count the Bad Mommies

Monday, August 11, 2008

Bad Mommy Moment

Hannah has recently taken up Belly Dancing with me. We go to the classes together and we have a ball. She loves the shimmies and shakes and she's super-flexible - able to do far more with her tiny limbs than I ever could. All in all, it's a great mom-daughter bonding time.

Two weeks ago on belly dancing night, it was a particularly cold evening to be going out. Hannah was really keen to go, so I couldn't say no. We enjoyed the lesson, but when she came home, she began coughing. I didn't think too much of it and sent her to bed.

The next morning, she coughed through breakfast. Having forgotten about her coughing spell the previous evening (bad mommy moment number 1), and knowing that she can be a bit of a drama queen, I told her to give it a rest and eat her breakfast. She got ready for school, all the while coughing and complaining that she was feeling sick. I rolled my eyes and put it down to tiredness from the fun the night before. Later that morning, I waved her a cheery goodbye at her classroom door.

The phone call later that day went something like this:

"Hello, Mrs Dunlop?"

"Yes?"

"It's Mrs X from XX Primary. Hannah's here in my office and she's having an asthma attack and she has a temperature. Could you come and fetch her?"

Um, why yes, I'll fetch her, and while I'm about it, I think I'll knock my head against the closest brick wall, all the while chanting: "Bad Mommy. Bad Mommy."

Your homework for this week is: Write a Bad Mommy Moment post from the past 2 weeks. Don't be shy: you know you've had one...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just discovered your site and love it! Finally, somewhere to admit that we're all bad mommies at times and won't be flamed for it! Lou

ExMi said...

thanks Lou - and welcome to the bad mommy club!

Neen - this is an awesome post, i think we all know how you feel.


looking forward to getting cracking on this task!

AngelConradie said...

whew... okay. this might take some doing!

Sweets said...

shame... poor you LOL... ok lemme pick one of the ten worst things i did in the last two weeks...


:)

Me said...

I took my 7 year-old and 4 year-old hiking on a beautiful Saturday. I only got on to them once about going slow and complaining. They were little troopers. When we got home I discovered they both had fevers of 102.