Count the Bad Mommies

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

about stephanie, the bad mom with documentation

I'm coming from my personal blog that I started last year and named "bad mom" because of a note my then-4-year old son left me after I had done something quite egregious. It's a thrill to now know a) there are bad moms worldwide who freely discuss their shortcomings with glee and b) I've been invited to play with you all.

It's not part of the official introductory homework, but I'll tell you some other stuff anyway - I'm a teacher at an alternative high school (I am all about bad, apparently; although many of my students are delightful and not [too] bad), have been married almost 15 years (in a row, to the same guy), and would eat pizza every night for dinner if it weren't so socially unacceptable (and expensive).

Thanks for having me. Enjoy my badness.


1. Post a picture of your kids.

Mason the carnivore, age 9

Paige the lover of all things stuffed & cute, age 7

2. Tell us all 3 things we wouldn't know about you.

Well if you looked at my other blog, you'd kinda know most stuff; perhaps I should be less forthcoming over there. Hmmm. How about - I had a huge crush on James Dean all through college; I bite my hangnails constantly; I always read while I brush my teeth.

3. Tell us some things we wouldn't know about your kids.

The boy: weighed 4 lbs. when he was born; can do startlingly (and sometimes annoyingly) accurate impressions of people and animals; remembers outrageously trivial pieces of information yet frequently forgets things we've told him 30 seconds before; writes beautifully in cursive; loves watching Singin' in the Rain

The girl: sucks the pointer & middle fingers of her left hand; can add & multiply off the top of her head frighteningly fast; adores The Beatles; is skilled at putting together jigsaw puzzles; loves word searches

4. What quote/saying best describes the way you feel about being a mommy?

A happy childhood has spoiled many a promising life. ~ Robertson Davies

5. Who's your Famous Mommy Role Model?

I really like Kate Winslet (and secretly pretend to be her when I'm out & about; if I were braver I would affect an English accent with the grocery clerk) - she looks lovely & charming yet slightly harried whenever she's doing regular mom things. And I find it refreshing that I couldn't pick her kids out of a line-up because she refuses to parade them around like trendy souvenirs.

6. If you could have one wish granted for your kids, what would it be?

For them to feel confident in their own abilities. It seems that would help a lot during the dreaded peer pressure moments. And, frankly, take some work off my shoulders (this is about being a bad mom, right?)

6 comments:

CamiKaos said...

Hooray!!!

Stephanie is here!!!

was that too many exclamations points?

yeah. I think it was.

loved the quote.

AngelConradie said...

hello fellow bad mommy!!!
mwaaaaaaaaaahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

stephanie said...

Hi, Cami!!!!!!!!! As long as you're not freaking out at me like a certain past PTA president, the exclamations are cool. Thanks, good to see you too :)

Hello, Angel - your wicked laugh kind of scares me...

Patchwork said...

Hello Stephanie! Nice to meet you, I'll be reading your personal blog as well! Welcome to BOBM! Mason and Page are so pwetty!

ExMi said...

welcome and helloooo everyone:)

Nosjunkie said...

I think kids should be tought the value of a stong mind and a stong personality... the rest will come with that